Voyager Hotels was set up to create value from investment plus asset and operational management of hotel and resort properties across Europe. The focus of the business is to take advantage of the ongoing market opportunity to acquire remarkable high-end and mid-market hotel assets for a fraction of historic values.
Our in-depth knowledge of the hotels marketplace enables us to identify under-performing hotel assets, often in special or stressed situations. Between us, we have spent an average of 28 years working with luxury hotel brands, which assists us in providing proactive solutions based on the depth of our knowledge and experience.
Voyager Hotels is not about creating a chain of hotels under a single brand. Our goal is to create a collection of investments, each with its own exit strategy. The collection will also have the appeal of a cohesive group for real estate companies looking to acquire platforms.
The company has invested to date in a property in Majorca and has a pipeline of opportunities in southern Spain, Italy and other European markets.
Our style is open, honest and transparent and our values of trust and integrity have created invaluable partnerships in a complex marketplace.
Executive Chairman and Founding Partner
Adrian Constant’s career path spans senior positions not only in the global hotel and resorts business but also in the private equity investment sector. Prior to forming Voyager Hotels, he has had the following experience:
• Chief Executive Officer of one of Europe’s largest sports and leisure resorts, based in Spain.
• Chief Executive Officer of a United States based premium private equity investment firm with a remit to invest and build a portfolio of strategic investments in Europe.
• Vice President, Orient-Express Hotels, where he was in charge of all of the Company’s European properties as well as having specific development responsibility for Europe, the Middle East and Asia. During his time with Orient-Express, Adrian led some of its most prominent acquisitions and partnerships, including La Residencia, Mallorca; Hotel Ritz, Madrid; Le Manoir aux’ Quat Saisons, Oxfordshire; The Grand Hotel Europe, St. Petersburg; and the Hotel Caruso, Ravello. He also headed up the disposal of a significant asset.
• He has been involved in the resort and hospitality industry for over 28 years, in senior positions with a number of leading international hotel companies, throughout the world.
A British citizen born in Madrid, Adrian Constant is multilingual, multicultural and has extensive experience of doing business throughout the world.
Pippa Isbell has extensive experience of communications in the travel and hospitality industry. Her experience includes:
• Chief Executive of PRCo Ltd, an integrated public relations and digital consultancy specialising in hospitality and leisure real estate, with offices in London, Paris, Milan, Munich, Dubai, Moscow and New York
• Vice President, Corporate Communications, Orient-Express Hotels; responsible for public and investor relations throughout the world
• Founder of PIPR, a successful travel and leisure specialist public relations consultancy she started, built and sold, numbering among its clients the Thomas Cook Group, Avis Rent A Car and the Spanish Tourist Office.
Pippa’s hotel clients over the years have included Inter-Continental, Forte, Hilton International, Jarvis Hotels, Millennium and Copthorne, Four Seasons, Taj, Sofitel and numerous smaller independent groups and properties.
Operations Director, Spain
Jesus Martinez joined Voyager Hotels from Montpelier Plantation and Beach Resort, a Relais & Chateaux property on the island of Nevis in the Caribbean. During his time as resort manager the hotel was voted ‘Third Best Hotel in the Caribbean in 2015’ by readers of Condé Nast Traveller. Prior that that, he was with La Manga Club Resort, in Murcia, Spain, for 14 years, where he held a number of positions and was a member of the Resort Executive Committee.
15th October 2015. Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç, the boutique property in the village of the same name close to Pollensa on Mallorca’s North West Coast, has been acquired by Voyager Hotels for an undisclosed sum.
Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç is known for its exceptional personal service and intimate atmosphere, endorsed by its TripAdvisor ratings and 2014 Certificate of Excellence. 17 of its rooms are junior suites. The Cavall Bernat restaurant spills out onto its own private terrace for al fresco dining. The secluded pool is overlooked by an acre of lush gardens and there are three beaches within a five minute walk, with views across clear sea to the cliffs of Formentor.
Voyager Hotels has a highly experienced management team with a strong track record and extensive experience of managing and reinvigorating properties. Two of the partners, Adrian Constant and Pippa Isbell, who will be actively involved with Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç, were both Vice Presidents of Orient-Express Hotels and responsible among other projects, for the revitalisation of La Residencia in Deia, Mallorca. Voyager Hotels was set up to create value from investment plus asset and operational management of hotel and resort properties across Europe. The focus of the business is to take advantage of the ongoing market opportunity to acquire hotel assets for less than historic values.
“We have had our eye on Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç for a while,” said Adrian Constant, Executive Chairman and Founding Partner of Voyager Hotels. “When Orient-Express Hotels acquired La Residencia, Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç was a key competitor and it is still a lovely hotel. We are aware that its guests already think highly of it and we see great potential to create an even better experience for them.
“At Voyager, we see a market opportunity for a new take on contemporary luxury combined with the best of local tradition and culture. Hotel Cala Sant Vicenç will enable us to showcase our style.”
Voyager Hotels has immediate plans to refresh the accommodation and longer term will maximise the public areas, create new dining opportunities, remodel some of the smaller rooms and develop a small spa.
The vision of Voyager Hotels is to capitalise on the current market opportunity which enables acquisition of prime hotel assets at a fraction of historic values; return those assets to profitability and divest, creating aggressive returns for investors.
Our primary focus is on acquiring assets at a discount to value through a broad range of lodging investment classes. These range from high end, full service individual assets through city hotels to sports and recreational resorts.
Despite improvement in the general economic outlook for Europe and the USA, the trading outlook for leisure and real estate in much of Europe remains challenging. This, we believe, creates extensive opportunities for a company that can source distinctive opportunities, invest and restore value through effective asset management and management contracts in situations where more effective operation can unlock value.
Our geographic focus is Europe, including the UK. We also have extensive experience of working in Russia and remain close to that marketplace whilst awaiting the right time to step back into the industry there.
Based on our research and our understanding of the industry we believe that this is the perfect time to invest in acquiring distressed assets. Typically these properties are over leveraged and poorly managed and probably last changed hands in the boom years of the early to mid 2000s, with total enterprise values ranging from €15m to €100m.
It is not Voyager Hotels’ intention to create a chain of hotels under a single brand, rather to put together a collection of investments that each has its own exit strategy. Because we are not building our own branded hotel chain, our focus is clearly on return on investment. We work with external capital providers or long term property owners and from time to time invest our own funds, providing a hands-on service from identification of the opportunity through to divestment.
We do our own extensive due diligence in order to provide investors with substantial and well-evidenced information and our principals work closely with them from the initial transaction process through acquisition. We have long-standing and carefully nurtured relationships with banks, investment companies, hotel industry advisors and management teams.
Key to the success of any investment will be the ability to turn the business around quickly and extract full potential. To that end, during the investment process, we prepare the operating business for the post acquisition period and recommend the best solution.
The experience of our management team and our hands-on approach ensures that we are very close to the operation. Our objective from day one is to drive maximum profitability, capital appreciation and yield, with a view to disposal and exit.
Benefits of our non-branded solution include increased flexibility, focus, reduced costs, flexible contract terms and independence, specifically:
• Access to long-term principals and senior management, who are actively involved in the business of the hotel
• Investment in brand and reputation resides with the property
• Independent web presence and search engine optimisation
• Fast response time on independent pricing and packages
• Flexible financial management, dedication of resource and immediate implementation of cost saving initiatives
• Detailed return on investment analysis based on the needs of the owner as well as the best possible experience for guests
• Local knowledge and expertise, greater flexibility with local clientele
We draw on the experience of a number of industry specialists personally known to our principals, engaging them on a deal by deal basis. These range from real estate and leisure lawyers, food and beverage consultants to building and maintenance experts. In addition, we maintain a network of first class hotel operations staff throughout the world and seek to place them in our properties in order to provide service excellence. This flexibility is key to our structure, as each deal we look at requires a very different profile for the operational team on the ground.